Pakenham History : The History of Nether Hall

"The History of Nether Hall and the Various Owners "
A short history written by W.R. Rayner
with kind permission given by his daughter Gill Applegate to publish on
the Pakenham -Village web site.

PAGE - 15

In his later years, as a sick man, Sir Walter would rise from his bed, and, leaning on the arm of his valet, would watch for a short spell the scene of the village jollification. A feeble wave of his hand would denote his enjoyment.

The Estate of his day was well organised. It had its own team of carpenters, bricklayers and blacksmiths, the forge being part of the Home Farm. The dairy, lined with clean, picturesque Dutch tiles was a part of the Home Farm House, and a game-plucking room approached by an outside stairway was also incorporated in the upper floor of the farm house. The Hall Laundry, run by a mother and daughter was established in a thatched cottage in the village street. The early electricity supply to Nether Hall was generated in an engine room at the Home Farm. It was managed by an engineer who was also responsible for the running of Sir Walter's yacht. Mr. Cattle, the Estate Agent lived in Manor Farm, Thurston.

When Sir Walter Greene died, in 1920, the whole Estate was sold by his heirs to Mr. A.J. Edwards, a Fenland farmer and Covent Garden merchant. Mr. Edwards lived in the Hall for only 2 years when, while retaining the farms, sold the Hall and the Park to Mr. Harold Patrick Martin, who had retired from the family firm of Martin & Co. later to be known as Martin Burn Ltd. which was founded by his father, Sir Acquin Martin in the year 1892 in India, and Nether Hall and its Park remains in the possession of this family to the present day. After the death of Mrs. Harold Martin, who outlived her husband for 15 years, Nether Hall was inherited by her son, T. Acquin Martin and his wife Jacqueline Martin. Determined to preserve the Hall, the fabric of which had deteriorated badly during the widowhood of his mother, Mr. & Mrs. Martin set to work to restore and modernise the Hall which was placed within the Kristina Martin Charitable Trust which had been formed in 1965 on the death of their only child aged 22. Nether Hall thus became a Country Club within the Trust, and thus all profits from the club are used strictly for charitable purposes.