Pakenham Parish Council - 30th July 2015

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday, 30th July, 2015 at 7.30pm in
Pakenham Village Hall

Present: Cllr Painter (Chairman); Cllr Dorling (Vice-Chair) Cllr Bagnell, Cllr Davey, and Cllr Sidebotham
4 Members of the public were in attendance
Mrs S Brown (clerk) took the minutes.

1 - Record Councillors' apologies for absence:-
Apologies received and accepted from Cllr Brookman and Cllr Palfrey

2 - Declarations of interest: No declarations were received.

3 - Police Report:-
An email had been received from the dedicated PCSO Officer Rebecca Mc Daid and was read to Council. The PCSO is hoping to restart Police Surgeries on a regular basis within her group of villages. It was asked if there were any events/locations within the village the Council could recommend. The clerk to advise the PCSO of the Cafe morning held on the third Saturday in the month 9.30 – 12pm in the Village Hall.

County Councillors report:-
Cllr Hopfensperger attended and gave a report which included: An update on the West Suffolk Operational Hub, St Edmundsbury Borough Council had recommended a further consultation on the matter and Suffolk County Council were waiting for the result of this. SCC have agreed to stop the subsidy for organic (brown bin) waste. Cllr Hopfensperger advised there were a number of options available to the Borough on the collection of organic waste. As yet St Edmundsbury had not yet decided on the way forward, potentially they could ask residents to pay for an optional service. Waste recycling services were discussed. The Chairman advised Cllr Hopfensperger the Parish Council had various highway issues in the village that needed addressing. Cllr Hopfensperger confirmed Highways Officer Charlie Mitson was arranging dates for a site visit. A number of issues were highlighted including the verge at Millers Meadow the owner had placed wooden kerbs outside his boundary the reason being the hedge opposite is overgrown (the owner is aware and has advised they will cut it back) also the verge is encroaching on the road and therefore the road narrows and cars are going up onto the verge/hedge. The Parish Council advised this needs urgent attention and asked for the verges to be cut back and to look at whether the pieces of wood are on the highway or verge. Cllr Dorling highlighted the ongoing problem of the road gulley near the bridge at Ixworth, it was continually flooding the road after rainfall and needed jetting urgently. The potholes on Fen Road would be highlighted at the site visit. Cllr Dorling advised it was becoming very dangerous for pedestrians trying to cross the A143 could there be more signage for vehicles to be aware of pedestrians crossing and also vegetation cut back as it was difficult for pedestrians to have a clear view of traffic. It was also reported the road surface where pedestrians crossed was uneven and a trip hazard. Cllr Hopfensperger to forward these issues to Highways as a matter of urgency. The clerk to report any further Highway issues to SCC for a reference number before the proposed site visit.

Borough Councillors report:-
Cllr Brown gave his report which included: Mill Road - will be dealt with by the end of the year. Newbury – the resident concerned and St Edmundsbury are holding a meeting to deal with the issue. Cllr Brown to further update the Council at its 3rd September meeting. Cllr Brown advised he will be attending the Cafe 9.30 – 12pm on the 19th September for anyone wishing to discuss any issue they may have. If anyone has any ideas/thoughts on the use of the locality budget (£2,500) please let him know. Cllr Sidebotham asked if there was any news on the Fox Public House, Cllr Painter advised he had recently spoken to the possible purchaser and understood the sale was moving forward. The condition of the Fox Public House was briefly discussed.

Public Forum:-
A resident asked Cllr Hopfensperger about superfast broadband availability/connectivity in Pakenham and expressed his frustration on the inability to receive it. Cllr Hopfensperger took his details and would pass on to the Broadband team to investigate. Cllr Hopfensperger to report back the findings to the Parish Council.

4 - To consider the approval of the minutes of the last meetings:-
The minutes of the meetings held on 10th July were approved and signed as a true record.

5 - Matters arising from previous meeting:-
Cllr Dorling updated Council on the issue of the cemetery boundary. He had walked the area with Mr Spicer and found the boundary had 3 to 4m of encroachment by trees and vegetation. It was suggested placing 4 or 5 concrete bollards along the boundary to mark it out with some dead trees needing to be taken down. Council agreed for Cllr Dorling to get a price for the bollards and the removal of the trees. He also advised there was a small dead tree in the Lawn Cemetery, Council agreed for Cllr Dorling to get a price to also have this taken down and removed. To place item on next agenda.
Affordable Housing update: No update had been received to put on the next agenda.

6 - Highways issues: verges & potholes:-
This had been covered with Cllr Hopfensperger.

7 - Clerk's Report:-
Two allotment rents were outstanding Clerk to chase and one burial had taken place since the last meeting.
Schedule of outstanding items: Councillors were updated including the report from the Officer from the Environment Agency who had visited the stream which ran through the village. Pollution levels were not found to be an issue and it was down to landowners to keep their area of the stream clear of weed/vegetation/debris. Cllr Sidebotham advised Botesdale have a voluntary group which keeps their local stream clear. Council discussed Cllr Sidebotham to contact Botesdale for details and put on the next agenda.

8 - Update on Fencing at The Dell:-
Mr Thrower had carried out the works and Cllr Dorling had inspected to ensure it was completed.

9 - Correspondence:-
The Local Councillor and Clerk & Councils Direct were circulated to all Councillors. A letter of thanks for the donation was received from W.E.N.T. Community First Responders. Advance notice had been received from St Edmundsbury on the next parish conference to be held on Monday, 12th October 6pm in Haverhill. An email had been received from the Chair of Stanton Parish Council on bespoke Councillor training being held in their village hall on Wednesday, 16th and 23rd September 7 – 9pm if any Councillors were interested in attending to let the clerk know. A survey was being conducted by University Campus Suffolk asking the public their opinion on crime and antisocial behaviour and their experience and encounters with police if anyone was interested in taking part. A survey from SALC on broadband was carried out.

10 - PlanningApplications:-
No applications had been received

Any applications determined by planning authority:-
DC/15/0872/B The Willows, Bury Road
Retention of softwood casement windows – Refused
DC/15/0128/HH Wansbeck Cottage, The Street
Two storey extension to south west elevation – Granted
DC/15/0992/TCA Stayer Cottage, Bury Road
Trees in a conservation area reduce by 50% - Granted
DC/15/1244/TCA Bridge House, The Street
Trees in a conservation area – pollard – Granted

11 - Annual Review of Financial Risk Assessment:-
Council reviewed and were all in agreement the financial risk assessment was satisfactory.

12 - Finance Report and to consider payments to be made:-
The deposit account at 3 April held £6681.86
The current account at 6th July had a cleared balance of £16,724.44.
The first quarter accounts against budget were distributed to Councillors for information.
The annual return had been received from BDO with one issue arising the Council had answered no to question 5 in the Annual Governance Section of the Annual Return. The Council did not assess the risks relating to assets until after the year end. However, it did asses the financial risks facing the Council during the year. Council had now put in place a bi-annual risk assessment for future years. The annual return was presented to Council and was approved and accepted by the Council. The issues arising report was presented to the Council and an action plan produced, if required, to indicate how the issues raised will be addressed. The notice of conclusion of audit has been displayed on the notice board.
Council in agreement for payments to be made.
No further invoices had been received
Cllr N Davey agreed to become a signatory for Pakenham Parish Council.

Cheques:-
1451
BDO LLP bill no: 1414888
120.00
1452
D. Thrower fence at The Dell
520.00

13 - Councillors' reports and items for future agenda:-
Cllr Dorling reported a number of cars were parking on the road by the bird hide in Grimstone End instead of parking in the car park at the Water Mill. The clerk to write to Suffolk Wildlife Trust asking if they could remind people to park in the designated car park and to put extra signage up as well.

14 - Date of next meeting:-
The date of the next scheduled meeting was confirmed as Thursday, 3rd September.

There being no further business the meeting was closed at 9.10pm

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.