Pakenham Parish Council 31st July 2014

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday, 31st July, 2014 at 7.30pm
Pakenham Village Hall

Present: Cllr H Painter (Chairman), Cllr D Dorling (Vice-Chairman), Cllr C Palfrey, Cllr I Brookman, Cllr M Sargent and Cllr Bagnell
Seven Members of the public attended
Mrs S Brown (clerk) took the minutes
 
1 - Apologies for absence: All Councillors in attendance
 
2 - Declarations of interest: No declarations 
 
3 - St John's Ambulance - Defibrillators:-
Mr S Thorpe attended and demonstrated the public access defibrillator, this was the system used by East of England co-op. The machines are designed to be used by people with minimal first aid knowledge. The system needs an electrical supply but not a telephone line. The unit demonstrated costs in the region of £1000 and normally lasts for 5 years. There are smaller units available. If a responder scheme was set up in the village the volunteers receive two days training (free) which includes basic first aid, use of oxygen & a defibrillator. The volunteer is alerted at the same time as the ambulance. They are supplied with a bag containing equipment that is held in a easily accessed unit. The Chairman thanked Mr Thorpe for attending. Clerk to email East of England co-op asking for a donation towards the purchase of a defibrillator. Clerk to obtain prices of units, to put on next agenda.
 
4 - County Councillor's Report:-
Cllr Hopfensperger did not attend and no report had been received.
 
5 - Borough Councillor's Report:-
Cllr. Spicer was unable to attend and sent his apologies. He had advised the clerk he had set up a meeting with the borough environmental officer and a householder on Fen Road who were experiencing problems of foul water flooding. Cllr Dorling would try to attend.
 
6 - Questions from Councillor Spicer:-
Cllr Spicer had sent a number of questions: on affordable housing he is to be updated on progress. Lawn cemetery trees, overhanging hedges and Church Green Wood. To be provided with the tree hazard report for future reference. Meadow is cut by EFMS as organised events take place it would not be practicable to take an annual cut of hay. The hedge is normally cut later in the year, Cllr Dorling to make sure EFMS carry this out. To also ask them to trim Church Green Wood and the outside verge. To also ask for the gravel car park to be sprayed. Cllr Spicer to be updated.
 
7 - Police report:-
No one from Suffolk Constabulary attended and no report had been received.
 
8 - Public Forum:-
The Parish Council were thanked for getting the footpath behind the Owell cleared. It was asked which Ash tree in The Dell was to be removed. A question was asked about flooding; both Highways and Anglian Water had been informed of the problem.
 
9 - To Consider the approval of the minutes of the last meeting:-
The minutes of the meeting held on 26 June 2014 were approved and signed as a true record.
 
10 - Reports from previous meeting:-
Schedule of outstanding items: Councillors had received a schedule of outstanding items to be updated at each meeting.
Highways list: Councillors had received a highways list to take to the proposed meeting. Clerk to obtain a map of the village to allow pot holes to be marked.
 
11 – Clerk's Report:-
A letter had been sent to homeowner at Grimestone End asking for the overgrown hedge to be cut back. A letter had been sent to Havebury Housing Partnership asking to be informed when their next ‘walk around’ the village took place.
 
12 – Planning:-
DC/14/1278/TCA - Church Green
Trees in conservation area Sycamore reduce tip by approx. 2m from the eastern damaged stem. No objection
 
No further applications had been received 
 
DC/14/0791/LB : Mulberry House
Reinforce & stabilise listing retaining wall – Granted
DC/14/0923/TCA : Linden House Lime tree pollard to single trunk - Granted
 
13 - Correspondence:-
All correspondence was circulated to Councillors including…
a)St Mary’s Church Fund raising Committee: Thanked the Council for permission to hold this year’s outdoor theatre event. Permission was asked to use the land again on 4th July 2015 for the outdoor family theatre production, Robin Hood. This was agreed by all Councillors. The fund raising committee asked if the Parish Council would be able to help financially towards a new Gala event marquee, details of which were read out. It was agreed to contribute towards the cost, Cllr Painter to liaise with the fund raising committee.
b)Letter from Mayor of St Edmundsbury: The letter was read to Council asking if the Mayor could attend one of the Council’s meetings. It was agreed to invite the Mayor to the October meeting.
c)Vision 2031: Notification of the publication of the Inspector’s Report. The planning rules are changing, although the Parish Council is happy with this they would like to draw attention to the serious problems Pakenham experiences with drains and flooding that could cause a restriction on planning within Pakenham.  
d)Two emails had been received about the state of footpaths. The clerk had contacted the Rights of Way Officer at SCC who advised the scheduled 2nd cut would take place in two weeks time. Clerk had replied to emails informing them.
 
14 - Co-option:-
No election had been called a notice had gone on both noticeboards informing residents of the vacancy and asking if anyone wished to be considered. One resident had come forward. To ask if anyone is interested to apply by 14th August.
 
15 - Footpath Warden:-
Clerk to obtain a definitive map of the footpaths in Pakenham. Rights of Way officer Claire Dickson has agreed to attend September’s meeting. Councillors to walk the circular path before the meeting. Clerk to send Cllrs a section to walk.
 
16 - Affordable Housing:-
It was agreed a working party consisting of Cllrs. Painter, Brookman and Palfrey attend a meeting with Havebury Housing Partnership. Cllr Brookman to arrange. Council agreed there was a need for small units of 1/2 bedrooms to initially discuss with Havebury the access road and site. Cllr Spicer to be updated after the meeting.

17 - Finance Report – to consider payments to be made:-
A letter had been received from Santander the deposit account is changing to a Treasurers Savings Account in October, interest will be paid monthly rather than yearly the rate changes from AER of 0.10% to 0.50%.Cleared balance of the deposit account £6662.78
Cleared balance of the current account at 7/7/14 £14,796.81 uncleared balance £14,037.61 this includes the invoice on the agenda.

Cheques raised:-
1409
EFMS 1st quarter grounds maintenance
654.40

Financial risk assessment annual review: These were reviewed with no changes needed.

No further invoices had been received.

18 - Councillors’ reports and items for future agenda:-
Cllrs Painter and Brookman had attended a Neighbourhood Watch meeting should know more for the next meeting. Cllr Sargent reported some months ago an area in The Owell had been measured for extra parking. Cllr Sargent to follow up to ascertain when this would be installed. It was agreed the clerk to send letter of thanks to the teams who organised the Open Gardens, Alice the Musical and the Fun Day all of which were very successful and thoroughly enjoyed by all. Cllr Sargent advised the club house had been sold and removed from site proceeds had been divided between various charities. Cllr Bagnell to cap the water tap which had been used by the Bowls club. It was reported the flashing warning sign on the A143 on the corner after the Bunbury Arms was becoming hidden by overgrowth, to put on Highways list.  
 
19 - Date of next meeting:-
The next scheduled meeting was confirmed as Wednesday, 17th September 2014 at 7.30pm in the Village Hall
 
20 - Confidential session:-
Any matters involving consideration of confidential information.
Council was informed of a complaint.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.15pm.

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.