Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

held on Wednesday, 27th November, 2013 at 7.30pm in Pakenham Village Hall

Present: Cllr H Painter (Chairman), Cllr M Sargent (Vice-Chairman), Cllr C Palfrey, Cllr I Brookman, Cllr M Bagnell.
Five Members of the public attended.
Mrs S Brown (clerk) took the minutes.

1 - Apologies for absence: Apologies received and accepted for Cllr Dorling.

2 - Declarations of interest: No declarations of interest received.
 
3 - Public Forum: No members of the public wished to speak.

4 - County Councillor’s Report:-
Cllr R Hopfensperger was unable to attend but had informed the clerk that she had chased Highways again re the gulley outside Woodstock.

5 - Borough Councillor’s Report:-
B Cllr Spicer reported Vision 2031 was now with the inspector. The plans for the proposed development at Great Barton were now available to see. A temporary site for the Irish gypsies had been found. The Borough Council have been to the High Court for pre-emptive injunctions on car parks being used by Travellers within Bury. This will be reported in the Bury Free Press tomorrow. The street lights in Pakenham that have been asked to be repaired have been. A number are now off as they are being replaced. Cllr Spicer advised he would be keeping an eye on the situation. A member of the public asked about the water leak on Church Road, Anglia Water is aware of the situation. Cllr Spicer believed the Borough Council have asked them to put a whole new section of pipe on Church road rather than against the wall. The matter is a work in progress. Cllr Spicer expressed concern the turning into Pakenham at the Spinney crossroads, Stowlangtoft were dangerous when it was dark.

6 - Police report:-
The Police were unable to attend but had sent a report which was read out. There had been one crime of interest in the Parish since the last meeting. Burglary dwelling – during daylight hours on 9th Nov an attempt was made to enter premises in The Street through the rear patio doors.

7 - To Consider the approval of the minutes of the last  meeting:-
The minutes of the meeting held on 17th October were approved and signed as a true record.

8 - Reports from previous meeting:-
Bus Shelter : Cllr Painter reported he had received a quote from Excel Business Services Ltd for £280 + VAT to put the tiles back after Ipswich Insulations remove the cement asbestos from the bus shelter. Council agreed to this cost.

9 - Clerk's Report:-
Cllr Dorling has purchased paint for the phone box and passed onto the person who is going to do the job. The light is still not working but nobody is missing it.
The annual hedge cut will be done in the next few days, if it hasn’t been done already.
Urban Forestry have had a lot of emergency work following the storm but will be in contact with Cllr Dorling as soon as possible to arrange a convenient time to carry out the survey including the allotment area (they have been supplied with a map of the area).
Update from enforcement officer on Mr Reynolds – very complex situation and they are currently doing a lot of work on the case, there are legal proceedings and is ongoing. They will e-mail me with any developments. Cllr Spicer asked to be informed if anything is received on the matter.
Overgrown hedge on Pakenham Road, the clerk in Thurston has been on long term sick leave, the temporary clerk has been informed.
The clerk reported on her attendance at the Cemetery Management course and explained using the term ‘exclusive’. Council agreed to not use term ‘exclusive’ in Pakenham Lawn Cemetery terms & conditions as agreed at meeting on 17 October.

10 - Planning Applications:-
DC/13/0583/TCA Bridge House, The Street
Trees in a conservation area – no objections.

11 - BT Kiosk:-
To put on next agenda.

12 - Village Repairs:-
Cllr Painter noted the lamp glass in the church car park was broken. Cllr Spicer advised the lamp was owned by the PCC. The H & S report was circulated to Councillors.

13 - Overgrown hedgerow - playing field:-
The chairman of the PFA and Cllr Painter to check what needs to be cut back. To go on next agenda.

14 - Land ownership – allotments:-
To go on next agenda.

15 - Parish Conference:-
Cllr Brookman reported there had been three main items: Clinical commissioning group, Vision 2031 and Parish precept. The Borough council, County council and police were now being capped at 2%. Capping may come to parish councils. Parish councils had asked if they had to raise their precept if they could be allowed to explain why in the leaflet that is sent to householders. Councillors discussed the implications of possible capping and referendum. A suggestion to increase the precept before this happens. With the grant being phased out the Council does not have large reserves given the liabilities around the village. A Parish Liaison Meeting was being arranged; Cllr Brookman was happy to represent Pakenham - this was agreed by Council.

16 - Speed signage:-
Cllr Spicer informed Council the cost of fixed signage cost in the region of £8000. Council felt this was too expensive for the village. The clerk to ask Highways to clear the 30 mile signs on Fen Road that are covered with foliage.

17 - Bury Festival – Pakenham fringe:-
A representative from the Pakenham fringe addressed the Council. They were hoping to hold various events between 16 – 25 May at the same time as the Bury festival. Cllr Painter expressed concern over the amount of events they were hoping to hold and suggested concentrating on four or five events. It was advised a meeting was being held on 8th December at 2.30pm in the Village Hall to help decide the programme. The Parish Council was asked if they would give their support. Council supported the idea of having a Pakenham fringe.

18 - Open air theatre & signage permission St Marys church:-
The clerk read out a letter received from St Marys fundraising committee asking for permission to use the land behind St Mary’s church for ‘Alice in Wonderland’ - an open air theatre event to be held on Saturday 5 July 2014 and a possible promotional ‘mad hatters tea party’ on Saturday 17 May 2014. A risk assessment will be supplied to the Parish Council. Permission was also asked for an A3 laminated sign asking people to take litter home or put in bin. Council agreed to support both matters. Clerk to inform the committee.

19 - Christmas Tree:-
Cllr Spicer offered to purchase the Christmas tree for the Village Hall, the cost of which was approximately £12 - £15 and try and get it for Tuesday 10th December. Cllr Spicer to inform Mr Bacon.

20 - Bowls Club closure:-
A letter had been received from the Bowls Club advising they wished to give up their lease of the bowls green after over 40 years. Cllr Sargent advised the only evidence of the Bowls Club left was the Green and a portacabin and the Bowls Club would accept responsibility for removing it. Council expressed their sadness at the closure of the Club.

21 - PVH & PFA:-
The Chairman of the PVH & PFA addressed the Council. In past years the Parish Council have given grants to help with maintenance and running of the Village Hall and would appreciate help in the future. The Chairman of PVH and Cllr Brookman had gone over the finances: Income £19,000, Expenses £22,000 with a shortfall of £3000 (Reserves held of £15,000). The expenses are going up and they are looking at hire charges but it was difficult when small organisations are using the hall to increase their charges. Clerk advised the Council they were able to give a grant to the Post Office at the VH under s.137LGA as it would bring direct benefit to inhabitants. Council were in unanimous agreement to continue keeping the grants to the Village Hall at the same amount.

22 - Standing Orders review:-
The National Association of Local Councils had updated the model standing orders. All Councillors received a copy of the updated standing orders to review. To put on next agenda

23 - Correspondence:-
A letter from St Edmundsbury Newstalk had been received with a donation request. Council agreed to give a £50 donation.
A letter had been received from Mr & Mrs Harrison relating to the Parish Council’s handling of their planning application, the clerk had drafted a reply.
Council asked for planning application plans to be displayed on a table from 7.15pm before the Parish Council meeting to discuss them. This will be put on agendas if the public wish to view them. The public will be asked if they wish to comment on a planning application to do so within the public forum. If Council have a technical question that may be asked of the agent or householder if present when the application is being discussed. A councillor to propose and have a seconder for each application.
The SALC annual report and CPRE magazine was circulated.

24 - Finance Report & consider payments to be made:-

Deposit account cleared balance at 24/9/13 - £6656.12
Deposit account uncleared balance at 27/11/13 - £6945.45
Current account cleared balance at 24/9/13 - £10,876.46
Current account uncleared balance at 27/11/13 - £7297.10

Cheques raised:-
1376
D Thrower invoice no:82 for bollard
160.00
1377
HMRC payment due in January
117.40
1378
D Thrower inv. no: 97 for grass/hedge cutting
2300.00
1379
SALC invoice 13576 for training
96.00
1380
Donation to St Edmundsbury Newstalk
50.00

Financial regulations review - Councillors had reviewed the regulations and no changes were needed.
Budget 2014/15 – precept – Council discussed the proposed budget and precept to put on next agenda.

25 - Internal Audit:-
Council agreed to use Malcolm Saunders to conduct the internal audit next year as no one had been found with professional indemnity insurance.

26 - Dates for next year’s meetings:-
The next meeting would take place on Wednesday, 8th January 2014. To put on next agenda

27 - Councillors’ reports and items for future agenda:-
Cllr Palfrey reported the gulley between Misty Meadows and Broadway Lane was put back incorrectly clerk to contact Highways.

28 - Date of next meeting:-
Wednesday, 8th January, 2014 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.50pm.

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.