Pakenham Parish Council Minutes 17th October 2013

Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

held on Thursday, 17th October, 2013 at 7.30pm Pakenham Village Hall

Present: Cllr H Painter (Chairman), Cllr M Sargent (Vice-Chairman), Cllr C Palfrey, Cllr I Brookman, Cllr M Bagnell, Cllr D Dorling and Cllr R Griffin.
Eight Members of the public attended, Mrs S Brown (clerk) took the minutes.

1 - Apologies for absence: All Councillors were in attendance

2 - Declarations of interest:-
Cllr Sargent declared an interest in item 11and Cllr Dorling declared an interest in item 10c.

3 - Public Forum:-
No members of the public wished to speak.

4 - County Councillor’s Report:-
Cllr R Hopfensperger was unable to attend but had sent a report which was read out.
Clerk was asked to contact Cllr Hopfensperger in regards to the problem gulley outside 'Woodstock' on the corner of Fen Road and Bull Road.

5 - Borough Councillor’s Report:-
B Cllr Spicer reported he was involved in signing off the financial accounts for 2012/13 with a £9,000 underspend which was good budgeting.
Forest Heath and St Edmundsbury are now looking at middle tier staffing levels to help in saving costs.
He advised the street light lamp bulbs have been taking longer to replace as they have been in the process of changing contractor.
He reported a member of the public had asked him about speeding. He suggested permanent speed checker signs could be useful.
To put on next agenda.

6 - Police report:-
The Police were unable to attend but had sent a report which was read out.

7 - To Consider the approval of the minutes of the last meeting:-
The minutes of the meeting held on 5th September were approved and signed as a true record.

8 - Reports from previous meeting:-
a.The Fox –Community Right to Bid.
The clerk read a letter of Acceptance of Nomination from St Edmundsbury Borough Council.

9 – Clerk’s Report:-
No statement on Mr Reynolds had been received as yet from Jane Stanley enforcement officer at St Edmundsbury.
Highways had arranged a contractor to jet the gulley at Grimestone End.
Relocation of the bottle bank - litter bins are not installed at recycling centres however cleansers when cleaning the village will keep an eye on the area and remove anything that is left.
Unfortunately no monies are available from these receptacles. They can also put a reminder notice on the bottle bank to ensure people do not leave rubbish nearby.
The Pakenham laptop to be cleaned by Steve Gage at a cost of £30 an hour (advised it will take approximately one hour to clean).
Cemetery Management training £80 + VAT. Clerk asked to attend.

10 - Planning Applications & procedures:-
Council agreed anyone wishing to speak on an application may do so from the floor for a maximum of 3 minutes. An applicant may be invited to answer questions on the application. Only members of the Council to discuss the application. A copy of Suffolk Local Code of Conduct flow chart given to all members of the Council.
DC/13/0361/HEDGE Council discussed the application - no objection.
DC/13/0183/HH Newbury Fen Road. Council discussed the application – no objection
DC/13/0167/FUL Topiary Art Designs (Cllr Dorling left the meeting while the matter was discussed) Council discussed the application – no objection but with comment: Would like an enhanced planting scheme around the building to harmonise into the landscape.

No further applications had been received

11 - Welcome Pack – W.I. :-
Clerk read out letter received from W.I. asking for a donation to help with the costs of a welcome pack. Council agreed to give £40 and asked if 'welcome on behalf of Pakenham Parish Council' could be incorporated in the pack.

12 - Bus Shelter Report and Quotation:-
Report received asbestos cement in bus shelter under-cloak. A quote of £385 + VAT to remove the asbestos was received and agreed by Council. Clerk to contact Ipswich Insulations Ltd to undertake the work and Cllr Painter will contact them to arrange when the work is to be undertaken.

13 - BT Kiosk:-
To go on next agenda. Cllr Griffin to check the voltage of the light in the kiosk.

14 - Village Repairs:-
To go on next agenda. Cllr Painter to circulate the H & S report .

15 - Overgrown hedgerow playing field:-
Resident had contacted Cllr Sargent with a problem of vermin in gardens which back on to an overgrown area of the playing field. Cllr Painter and the Chairman of the PVH & PFA to view the extent of the problem. PVH & PFA to obtain a quote for clearing the area. To put on next agenda

16 - Land Ownership – allotments:-
Cllr Brookman to visit the land registry to try and ascertain ownership. Clerk to contact Urban Forestry to go ahead with the tree survey and to include trees at the allotments. To liaise with Cllr Dorling who will meet them at the allotments and show them the trees to include in the survey. Cllr Painter and the Chairman of PVH & PFA to check on any overhanging hedges and trees. To put on next agenda.

17 - Lawn Cemetery Review of Burial Charges & terms and conditions:-
Council agreed the changes: advance reservation for 10years of burial plot parishonners £100, non-parishonners £355. Renewal £100 & £355 respectively. Exclusive rights 50years over the age of one burial parishonner £200, non-parishonner £550. Exclusive rights 50years cremetated remains parishonner £200, non parishonner £550. To erect a headstone £121. Clerk to update the fees and conditions to reflect the changes.

18 – Correspondence:-
Clerk distributed the correspondence. Cllr Brookman to attend the Parish Conference on 22nd October. Clerk to book his place.

19 - Finance Report & consider payments to be made:-
Deposit account £6,656.12
Current account cleared balance 24th September £10,876.46
Uncleared balance as of 17th October £10,069.83
Clerk to produce 7 month actual payments/receipts and predicted 12 month payments/receipts for next meeting to help with budget setting.

Consider payments to be made:-
a. SALC invoice no:13523 £2 Good Councillor Guide
a cheque was raised for £2 no:1369 and signed by Cllr Painter & Dorling

b. Bus shelter analysis invoice no:9698 £66
a cheque was raised for £66 no:1370 and signed by Cllr Painter & Dorling

c. Clerks salary and expenses a cheque was raised for £454.96 salary no:1371 & £66.60 expenses no:1372 and signed by Cllr Painter & Cllr Dorling

d. Royal British Legion donation. Council agreed to £50 donation
a cheque was raised for £50 no:1375 and signed by Cllr Painter & Cllr Dorling

e. Invoices received after the agenda had gone out:
SALC payroll service inv:13662 £16.80
a cheque was raised for £16.80 no:1373 and signed by Cllr Painter & Cllr Dorling.
A cheque for £40 for W.I. welcome pack was raised no:1374 and signed by Cllr Painter & Cllr Dorling.

20 - Internal Audit:-
Clerk still unable to get a response from Heelis & Lodge. Clerk to contact Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgshire CALC’s to ask if they had an internal audit service. Put on next agenda.

21 - Councillors’ reports and items for future agenda:-
Clerk to post any important e-mail correspondence to the two Councillors without e-mail.

22 - Date of next meeting:-
Wednesday, 27th November, 2013 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.40pm.
Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.