Pakenham Parish Council Minutes 6th June 2013

Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 6th June 2013 at 7.30pm Pakenham Village Hall

Present: Cllr H Painter (Chairman), Cllr M Sargent (Vice-Chairman), Cllr C Palfrey, Cllr I Brookman, Cllr M Bagnell, Cllr D Dorling & CC R Hopfensperger.
Four Members of the public attended
Mrs S Brown (clerk) took the minutes

1 - Apologies for absence: Received from Borough Councillor C Spicer

2 - Declarations of interest: Cllr Bagnell declared an interest in item 9 (a)

3 - Public Forum:-
A member of the public highlighted the verges on Mill Road were becoming very overgrown.
CC Hopfensperger advised she would look into it and ask for it to be cleared.
Graham Hunt from Ixworth library attended and was asked to address the Council. He informed Council Ixworth Library is now run by an Industrial Provincial Society (IPS). As treasurer he was asking all the Parish Council’s in the libraries catchment area to help with the funding for the IPS constitutional needs. They had been asked to raise a certain amount to fulfil their pre-agreed sum (£1000) set by Suffolk Libraries Board IPS Ltd. He gave a brief rundown of their aims and objectives. He advised any contributions given Joanna Spicer had kindly offered to match pound for pound. Cllr Sargent asked if Thurston Library were in the same position needing funds. He advised they  were  also going to need funds
Council thanked him for attending and the clerk was asked to place the item on the next agenda.

4 - County Councillor’s Report:-
Cllr R Hopfensperger gave her report. All reported pot holes have now been filled in. The water gulleys are also being done. Cllr Palfrey asked if the gulley outside ‘Woodstock’ could be looked at.
The Council were being asked by Government to make savings of £156 million over the next 4 years. £97 million to be made on efficiency savings i.e. the back office, staff costs etc. Above this would affect changes in the way services were delivered. The Chairman asked what the percentage was, Cllr Hopfensperger advised it was in the region of 25% - 30% reduction. On a personal note she had been given a portfolio position she was now cabinet member for localities covering Bury, Lowestoft and Ipswich. She was also the liaison between all tiers of government and also responsible for OurPlace initiative. Arts and culture also came under her portfolio. Cllr Sargent asked if funds would still be available for Parish Councils. Cllr Hopfensperger advised the locality budget remained the same. The Chairman acknowledged this fund had been very helpful to Pakenham in the past.

5 - Borough Councillor’s Report:-
Cllr C Spicer was unable to attend and no report was available.

6 - Police report:-
The Police were unable to attend and no report had been sent. Clerk to ask if a police representative could attend the next meeting.

7 - To Consider the approval of the minutes of the last meeting:-
The minutes of the meeting held on 16th May 2013 were approved and signed as a true record. Council asked if the minutes of the Parish Meeting could be signed at this meeting. The clerk advised the minutes of the Parish Meeting had to be signed at the next Parish Meeting. The Council noted they had read the minutes and agreed they were correct and asked for the draft minutes to be put on the website.

8 - Reports from previous meeting:-
i)Additional dog waste bin
The clerk read out an e-mail received from Cllr Spicer advising the Council needed to contact PVH & PFA as the land was owned by them. The clerk to contact PVH &PFA asking if an extra bin could be placed in the corner of play meadow. The clerk advised a new dog waste bin supplied by the Borough would cost   £126.32 The parish council were happy to pay the cost of the new bin if the PVH & PFA agreed. Clerk to check the cost of installation and get more prices for dog bins put on next agenda.
ii)St. Edmundsbury precept
The clerk had contacted Cllr Spicer who advised the matter was in hand and would update Council at the next meeting
iii)The Fox
The clerk informed Council a letter had been sent but no reply had been received. The Chairman had spoken to Cllr Spicer on the need to put The Fox public house on the Asset Register. The Chairman advised Council needed to contact Jane Chance Senior Health and Community Development Officer who deals with the asset register. It was noted that there was a big ground swell of public that wished to try and buy The Fox. Council discussed whether to put The Fox public House onto the asset register. It was noted that it was not only the building but also the field behind it which had been used by the village in the past. Cllr Hopfensperger would get Sara Blake an expert on the Localism Act to contact the Chairman. Cllr Brookman proposed putting The Fox Public House on the asset register Cllr Sargent seconded the proposal all Councillors agreed.

9 - Planning Applications:-
Applications:-
SE/13/0529/HH - Misty Meadows, Fen Road
Erection of side & front extension to create garage with first floor office/study.
Council looked at the plans and discussed the application. Cllr Brookman advised he had spoken to the applicant who informed him his lorry would be parked in front of the garage and the rest of his equipment would be taken to his commercial yard.
The Council unanimously had no objections to this application.
Granted:-
SE/13/0317/LBCA  Bell House - granted
SE/13/0399/HH Fenview - granted

10 - Speedwatch:-
Cllr Sargent asked Cllr Hopfensperger if she had any news when Pakenham would be getting ‘SID’ - there was approximately a three month wait but Pakenham was on the list. To put on next agenda.

11 - Grant to Pakenham Village Hall and Playing Field Association:-
The clerk read out the grants given to PVH & PFA over the last two years. The clerk to ask PVH & PFA for last year's accounts and this year's budget ready for the next meeting. Put on next agenda

12 - Risk Assessment:-
Clerk to go through the Tree Hazard Risk Assessment Report for The Dell. Cllr Dorling asked whether a new tree hazard risk assessment was needed Cllr Brookman to find out. Clerk to go through the health and safety report from CCAS for the village. To go on next agenda.
The clerk to give the copy of the CCAS health and safety report for the Village Hall, Pavilion and Children’s play area to  PVH & PFA.

13 - Correspondence:-
Clerk read out an e-mail received from Cllr Spicer who had arranged a meeting with Peter White from planning to discuss with the Council possible affordable housing sites and other planning matters. The clerk to book the Martin Room for Monday, 17th June at 4pm.
The rights of way annual surface clearance programme 2013 was circulated, the draft minutes of the Parish Meeting and LTN 85 The Community Right to Nominate and Bid for Assests of Community Value (England).

14 - Finance Report:-
Since the last meeting - Received £10 allotment rent and a cheque for £600.37 had been sent to Aviva for insurance. As of 1st June 2013 current account holds £12,485.51 deposit account holds £7,627.40.
To consider payments to be made:-
i)Mr G Cranmer Oct'12 - March'13 Weekly inspection of The Dell and Church Green Wood expenses of £50. A cheque was raised no:1353 for £50 and signed by Cllr Painter and Cllr Dorling.
ii)David Thrower £175 emergency repair to fence at The Dell
A cheque for £175 was raised no:1354 and signed by Cllr Painter and Cllr Dorling
Invoice received after agenda had gone out David Thrower £150 for fencing at Church Green Wood. A cheque was raised for £150 no:1355 and signed by Cllr Painter & Cllr Dorling.
iii)After invoices had been paid c/account held £12,110.51
Financial Risk Assessment - Clerk had completed an initial risk assessment distributed to Councillors to check. To put on next agenda.
iv)Internal Audit - Council discussed whether to use SALC for the internal audit next year. Council decided not to use SALC as the clerk worked there one day a week. Clerk to get alternative quotes.
v)Insurance - The clerk had received the paperwork from Aviva.
The year cost was £600.37 and Pakenham now have a 3 year long term agreement to 31 May 2016. A copy of the Certificate to be displayed on the noticeboard. Clerk to check all future contractors have £10 million liability and ensure  their cover notes are up to date.

15 - Councillors’ reports and items for future agenda:-
It was asked if the Clerk could contact Cllr Spicer re the footpath by Suffolk Agri as work was due to be completed once the weather was drier. Cllr Brookman advised Pakenham Road was becoming increasingly hazardous due to overgrown hedgerow which was also obscuring the 30 mile sign. The clerk to contact Thurston parish council asking if the hedges could be cut back in the autumn.

16 - Date of next meeting:-
Thursday 18th July 2013 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.