PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL
MONDAY 8 JANUARY 2007 - THE PAVILION, PAKENHAM
PRESENT: Cllr J Mangnall, Cllr D Dorling, Cllr M Sargent, Cllr L Patterson Cllr H Painter, Cllr Griffin, Cllr P Smith and Mrs M Gardiner (clerk).
Cllr C Spicer & CPO S Tate attended for part of the meeting.
APOLOGIES: CllrR Hopfensperger (other meetings)
2 - DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: None
3 - PUBLIC FORUM:
Twelve members of the public were present.
Shetland Boats site: Stephen Murphy, from How & Silver, attended the meeting to speak about proposed development on this site. His notes are attached. He and his partners own the Broadway site in trust. They purchased it from the Receiver 2 or 3 years ago and want to work with the parish when planning its future development. They have two options for the site. The first is to let it revert to a builders yard and the second is for the erection of 4 affordable homes, five other homes and for B1 office space (not industrial) at the rear of the site. Following a question from Cllr Painter, Mr Murphy stated that he would be prepared to sign a legal agreement restricting the number of homes to nine.
He informed the council that the ground has pockets of pollution, probably from being used as a builder's yard. These will be cleaned up if the ground is required for residential use, but this will not be necessary if it reverts to a builder's yard.
Local residents asked about the great crested newts, which were known to live on the site 2 - 3 years ago. Mr Murphy had no knowledge of these.
The owners received planning permission for 2 very large houses on the site 2 - 3 years ago, but they were not considered cost-effective and so were never built. However, it is understood, that because of the presence of newts a Defra licence was applied for and an English Nature survey took place.
Local residents, present at the meeting, were concerned about the increase in traffic that will come from residential use.
This development would mean the construction of acres of tarmac in a flood plain. A local resident stated that the local sewage pumping station breaks down regularly now and doubts that it will be unable to cope with extra effluent.
Dumping on the A143: Local residents are concerned with the increase in activity. Mr Barty has now moved to a site just down Mill Lane from the A143. Cllr Mangnall today spoke to the Enforcement Officer, who has been in touch with Mr Reynolds who says that the matter is in hand.
No 2 Micklemere: There was public concern over this building, which is being used as two separate dwellings after receiving planning permission for an extension to an existing dwelling for a disabled relative. The owners are reputedly cutting two doorways between the two dwellings in an effort to conform with planning conditions.
Tipping next to no. 1 Micklemere: There is also concern about tipping of excess building material on land next to this house. This is very unsightly in a conservation area. Many visitors come to see the Watermill and pass by this site.
Anderson's pit: The public delegation was also worried about increased activity here. Mrs Ludgrove, the neighbour who is recording activity, reported that as at 31st December 2006 80 days of operation had taken place. This was considerably more than in previous years. The land is designated for agricultural use, not for digger driver training.
Cllr Dorling stated that although the community functions within a network of rules and regulations adhered to by the majority, there appears to be an increasing minority who blatantly ignore these rules, particularly those of the planning authority. He suggested that if enforcement notices had been presented and enforced Mr Barty & Mr Reynolds would have stopped their tipping and Shetland Boats would have worked within the conditions of their planning permission. The public present applauded his remarks.
A member of the public stated that Pakenham has four instances of alleged contravention of planning regulations. They asked that the council tell the planning authorities that they are very upset about these. The authority of the Planning Dept seems to be regularly undermined. The clerk was asked to write to Ms Dell, the Planning Officer and it was suggested that local residents also wrote individual letters to her, copying them to the parish council.
4 - POLICE REPORT:
No crimes were reported in the last two months.
CPO Tate was asked about the dangers of shooting pheasants in the proximity of the highway and houses. She said that it was illegal to shoot within 50 ft of the centre of the highway.
5 - BOROUGH COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Cllr Spicer stated that he has been working very hard on our behalf over our four problem areas, constantly bringing them to the attention of the relevant authority. He has been assured that they are all in hand and that work is progressing.
6 - COUNTY COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
The Chairman convened the meeting.
7 - MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETINGS:
20 November & 12 December were agreed & signed as true records.
8 - CLERK'S REPORT:
The white line outside the village hall has been extended across the access to No. 8 The Street.
A paper from NALC covering key points of the recent White Paper concerning town and parish councils had been circulated with the agenda. Pakenham should not have any changes.
9 - PLANNING APPLICATIONS:
TCA06/1403 - Pips Cottage, The Street.
Fell one ash tree.
After discussion, all councillors agreed that they had no objection to this proposal.
SE/06/2926 - Old Hall Farm, Pakenham.
Erection of two-storey rear extension.
After discussion all councillors agreed that they would not object to this application.
Granted: Newe House, Fen Road:
10 - FINANCE REPORT: attached.
Financial Regulations - for next agenda.
11 - CCTV & ADDITIONAL LIGHTING OUTSIDE VILLAGE HALL:
The light is now working. Cllrs Smith & Painter had quotes for suitable CCTV equipment. It was unanimously agreed that Cllr Painter should organise purchase and erection of any additional equipment required at a cost of £500-£800. The Borough will arrange for McAlpine to fit the camera. Cllr Smith proposed that if a new camera is required, the original one could be sited inside the Post Office. Seconded by Cllr Griffin.
12 - BEECH TREE IN THE DELL:
The tree has been felled. David Thrower to be asked for a quote to repair the fence along the road.
Cllr Dorling to chase Mr Bleay for completion of works at The Dell.
13 - STANDING ORDERS:
The adoption of the updated Standing Orders was proposed by Cllr Smith & seconded by Cllr Griffin.
14 - CORRESPONDENCE:
St Edmundsbury: Local Development Framework - Draft statement of community involvement & response form.
Local Plan 2016 - response to be sent.
Standards Committee agenda & minutes.
Getting around in BSE. Leaflets in Post Office for public.
Rural Areas Community Initiatives Grant Scheme.
Community Spirit - election advertisements for noticeboards.
SCC: Highways newsletter - circulated.
Revision to Minerals Core Strategy
Suffolk Biodiversity partnership magazine
Suffolk Police: safety message
CPRE: Fieldwork magazine - circulated. Subscription request.
One-suffolk: free websites for voluntary groups
Havebury: Magazine - circulated.
Eastex: Suffolk materials exchange
Victim Support Suffolk seeking donation - declined.
Optua: seeking donation - declined.
Littlethorpe: bus shelters
15 - OPEN FORUM:
Clerk to write again re removal of the oil tank at Manor Garth.
Church driveway - Mr Nunn to be asked to do work before the end of the financial year.
Street cleaner - we need to advertise again as the applicant withdrew. The council will advertise again for a month. The Borough Council cleans every 13 weeks and gives a grant towards street cleaning. It was suggested we forego the grant and ask the Borough to do more. Clerk to make enquiries.
The Secretary of the PCC had asked permission to use the church car park for the church fete in July. Council agreed unanimously.
16 - DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 26 February 2007, 7.30pm.