Pakenham Parish Council Minutes - 4th September 2006

Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

MONDAY 4 SEPTEMBER 2006 - PAKENHAM VILLAGE HALL

PRESENT:  Cllr J Mangnall, Cllr D Dorling, Cllr M Sargent, Cllr L Patterson  Cllr R Hopfensperger (late) and Mrs M Gardiner (clerk).

APOLOGIES:  Cllr H Painter, Cllr Griffin,  Cllr C Spicer 

2 - DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: none.

3 - PUBLIC FORUM:
No public present, but several letters and telephone calls had been received regarding the Baileypool Bridge.  This has been well repaired but villagers are worried about the number of HGV's (including farm vehicles) that use this bridge.  They are reportedly sent that way by their satellite navigation systems.  A well-signed, well-enforced weight limit for the bridge is suggested to protect it from further damage.  The current 10 ton limit is frequently abused. It might help if the junction leading to the bridge was altered to lead vehicles straight on and not into the bridge road, removing the grass island.

4 - POLICE REPORT: No report. PC Clare Mowson is covering the area in PC Tate's absence.
 
5 - BOROUGH COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Tipping on the A143 Ixworth Bypass: Cllr Spicer is keeping a watching brief.
Anderson's Pit: Attended site meeting, will be meeting Trevor Anderson.
Brookfield, The Street, Pakenham: Cllr Spicer has asked the Conservation Officer to inspect the wall.
Dog bins: Cllr Spicer to continue chasing these and the green wheelie bin for the Pavilion.
Shetland Boats: Patsy Dell has been contacted by email and telephone about enforcing conditions on Shetland Boats, which Malcolm Wright is monitoring.
Cllr Spicer is monitoring the felling of the mature beech on Close Right of Way.

6 - COUNTY COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Cllr Hopfensperger joined the meeting and reminded Councillors of the pending meeting about the Gt Barton by-pass.  The Council has distributed HGV Information packs to HGV drivers & others about strategic lorry routes and will be setting up a liaison group to involve the drivers themselves.  This should improve safety measures.
On this subject the Councillor was told about the problems with Baileypool Bridge discussed earlier. She agreed to pass on the meeting's suggestions.  The grass island at the bottom of Bull Hill, Fen Street junction could also be removed, making the corner easier and safer to negotiate. CCTV - Cllr Hopfensperger will be meeting Rod Jones and will ask him to expedite this matter.  She is under the impression that there was some problem with connections to the power supply.  Clerk to follow up last communication. (Henry). Equestrian signs will shortly be in place on bridle paths.

The Chairman convened the meeting.

7 - MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING: were agreed & signed as a true record.

8 - CLERK'S REPORT: none.

9 - PLANNING APPLICATIONS:

SE/06/2238 & 2319 - 54 The Owell, Helen Littlewood.
Erection of 2 storey dwelling following demolition of outbuilding.  Construction of shared vehicular access.  
No objection in principle, but reservations about vehicular access close to the entrance of The Owell.

SE/06/2290 & 2291 - Bell House, The Street. Mr G Olivera.
(i) Re-instatement of front boundary wall,
(ii) provision of timber barn doors to cart lodge &
(iii) construction of stone pavement and step to front door.
(i) Condition requested (as agreed with Conservation Officer) that he should view a trial panel of the wall in situ. 
No objection in principle.
No objection to (ii) & (iii)

SE/06/2311 - The Beehive, The Street. Mrs P D Shackleton.
Erection of conservatory to rear elevation.
No objection.

10 - FINANCE REPORT:
Cheques signed since the last meeting: Mark Bleay, Tree works at The Dell.
Cheques signed at the meeting: Hanchets Memorials, PVH &PFA Rent, A J Hosken, Clerk,
Receipts: none.
Transfer: £2000.

11 - TIPPING BESIDE A143:  Tipping is still taking place.

12 - CCTV & ADDITIONAL LIGHTING OUTSIDE VILLAGE HALL: 
No progress - see County Councillor's report above..

13 - PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY:
Cllr Patterson had received a request from St Edmundsbury for us to prioritise the local footpaths so they could organise their sequence of grass-cutting with the most used footpaths getting priority.  It was agreed that all the paths on the circular route should be priority plus other specific shorter stretches in the village area. Cllr Patterson will inform St Edmundsbury of our wishes. Bridge repairs are required on the Old Hall Farm & Fen Road bridges.

14 - LOOSE MEMORIALS:
Hanchets have fixed 8 memorials and submitted their account.  The Wakeman memorial will be fixed shortly

15 - CORRESPONDENCE:
SCC      Suffolk Self-help emergency guidelines are available from Borough Offices
Minerals Core Strategy - suggested sites.  The Council noted that none of the proposed sites should cause traffic or any other problems to our village.
Age Concern fridge magnets - for distribution through the village shop.
Fire & Rescue Service - draft action plan.
Road closure - bridge repair work notification.
School organisation review - extended consultation date 30 September.
Rural Services Group - support scheme for rural business that serve the local community.
East of England Regional Assembly - Draft plan for provision of gypsy & traveller caravan sites
Memorial & headstone safety seminar - 19 October.
St Edmundsbury Borough Council - Standards Committee meeting - 13 September.
Code of Conduct training - 25 October.
Proposed change to Parish grant system - comments invited.  Correspondence also received from SALC on this subject.  Should be beneficial to us.
SALC  Open days invitation to recycling plant 12/13/18/19/20 September.
LSP Forum
Local Government TV Channel - warning about imposters.
Local Councillor magazines for distribution.
Laptops & printers available for councils - application made.
Onesuffolk websites - meeting 7 October.
Trainings available for Council members.
SALC AGM invitation - 5 October.
Legal briefings - Memorial Safety in Cemeteries; Freedom of Information Act; Countryside Rights of Way Act (to Footpath Officer).
Suffolk Acre      Report & AGM invitation - 28 September.
Suffolk Preservation Society magazine - Suffolk View circulated.
Vitalise request for grant declined.
Suffolk Hedgerow Survey newsletter circulated.
CPRE - Fieldwork magazine & Conference 24 Nov, London - circulated.

16 - OPEN FORUM:
Overhanging growth on the bend between Fen Road and Baileypool Bridge makes it dangerous for road users.  Clerk to write.
Church car park - needs spraying.  Clerk to arrange.
Shetland Boats - were working on Bank Holiday Monday morning very early. 
Buggy Club - met on 3 September. Paid rent for Pavilion. Gate was unlocked for them and locked again afterwards. Depending on numbers attending, the Club would reassess its viability.  The Chairman told them that the caravan must be removed and the viewing area made safe.  The grass must be cut between the caravan and the fence.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 23 October, 7.30pm

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.