Pakenham Parish Council Minutes - 5th April 2004

Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 5 APRIL 2004

THE VILLAGE HALL, PAKENHAM AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr J Mangnall, Cllr D Dorling, Cllr L Couper, Cllr H Painter, Cllr R Griffin, Cllr J Speare, Cllr C Spicer (Borough Councillor), Mr M Wright, Mr J Culley, Mr P Kingston, Mr M Bleay (part) and Mrs J Brookman (Clerk).

APOLOGIES: Cllr P Smith, Cllr V White (County Councillor) and Pc Sue Barnes-Smith.

1.0 - POLICE REPORT:
Pc Sue Barnes-Smith submitted a report to be read in her absence confirming that there had been no crimes in Pakenham since the last meeting. A security marking session is planned during the school holiday when youngsters are encouraged to bring along their cycles and mobile phones for marking.

2.0 - THE FOX:
Mr Peter Kingston, landlord at The Fox outlined the plans for the summer months. It is hoped that a bi-weekly farmers market, summer fete & sports day, fun dog show, open air jazz concert would take place. The Chairman welcomed Mr Kingston to the village and wished him well with his business and offered the Parish Council's support.

3.0 - THE DELL:
Mr Mark Bleay of Countryside, Conservation & Tree Services outlined his observations regarding The Dell. The Parish Council invited Mr Bleay to submit a quote to draw up a management plan. Cllr Mangnall to liaise with Mr Bleay.

4.0 - DECLARATION OF INTERESTS:
Declaration of interest in all matters relating to the village hall was made by Cllr Mangnall.

5.0 - PUBLIC FORUM:
Mr Culley asked about the grit bins mentioned in earlier minutes. Clerk confirmed that SALC had advised it would be in order to provide these in the village. It was agreed that 5 bins should be ordered. Cllr Speare offered to negotiate a price with Clarkes of Walsham.

Mr Wright was concerned about the Shetland Boat site and also the other firm Suffolk Trimmers which had set up on the same site. His concerns involved the fundamental change of use, the noise, chemical smells and large delivery lorries which were damaging the verges.

6.0 - BOROUGH COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Following on from Mr Wright's comments Cllr Spicer confirmed that the Enforcement Officer was aware that the business was still trading and that Shetland Boats have now submitted a planning application.

Cllr Spicer also reported that a Parking Committee had been formed to consider car parking for the whole of Bury St Edmunds in relation to the Cattle Market.

A Parish Conference will be held on 10 May, Cllr Mangnall agreed to attend.

7.0 - COUNTY COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
A report from Cllr White was read in her absence. Cllr White has contacted Pakenham Parent & Toddler Group with a view to providing additional funding. A Modification Order will be made regarding the Claimed bridleway Pakenham/Thurston/Norton as an appeal has been upheld.

County Councillors have been asked by Inspector Kidd-Stanton to contribute some locality money to buy a Speedcam device and/or a SID indicator to be used in Bury Rural, Cllr White requested the Parish Council's view on this. The councillors supported the initiative but agreed locality money should not be used for this purpose.

8.0 - MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING:
The minutes of 23 February were approved and signed as a true record.

9.0 - CLERK'S REPORT:
An Application for Additional Inscription relating to a headstone for Phoebe Landymore, deceased had been received. Permission was granted for the proposed inscription.

10.0 - PLANNING APPLICATIONS:

SE/04/1536/P The Broadway, (former builders' yard), Grimstone End, Pakenham - continued use of former builders' yard for boat building.

The Parish Council objected to the material Change of Use from Builder's Yard to Boat Building. The intensification of use is not considered appropriate in the Rural Community which is served by very narrow roads without footpaths. Objections have been received from Parishioners who dispute the observation in the Planning Statement concerning vehicle movements, noise and smells. If the Borough Council considers it appropriate to grant this application then the Parish Council urge the following are considered: (a) To assess the impact on the locality the Consent should be time limited to allow due consideration to be given to actual impact on the area of noise, smells and vehicle movements; (b) Any Consent should be personal to the applicant and restricted to only this use not any use within Class B2 and (c) Conditions must be attached to the Consent restricting noise and smells to appropriate levels cognisant of the location in a Rural Area adjacent to housing.

It was agreed that a separate letter should be sent to the Planning Department regarding a new company Suffolk Trimmers which is also working from the above site.

SE/04/1618/P Bramble Cottage, Fen Road, Pakenham
Extension of two storey rear extension.
No observations or objections.

SE/04/1782/P 5 Fen Road, Pakenham
Application withdrawn.

11.0 - FINANCE REPORT:

Cheques signed since the last meeting:
838
Mr B Chester, Materials for the village Sign
£156.62
839
Mrs S Jackson, Expenses for CrimePrevention evening November 2003
£5.00
840
Mr AJ Hosken - March wages
£84.49
Payments received
EDF Energy Networks Ltd £6.70
Interment fee for Mrs Brenda Clarke, dec'd £110.00

It was agreed that Mr AJ Hosken's rate of pay should be increased to £5.50 per hour as from 1 April 2004 and that the clerk's hourly rate would be increased to £7.20 per hour back dated to April 2003. Clerk's rate is pending review and when known will be back dated to 1 April 2004.

Clerk advised the meeting that the Annual Return and all the finance documents were available for inspection and that the notice would be posted on 6 April 2004 and the period for inspection would be from 20 April to 20 May 2004 at the Parish Clerk's address.

12.0 - WEB SITES FOR PAKENHAM:
Mrs Harbury had requested that various web sites relating to the village be linked to provide easy access. Cllr Smith to be asked to implement this and Mrs Harbury advised.

13.0 - PARISH CAR PARK AT ST MARY'S CHURCH:
The specification and siting of the proposed car park was agreed, tenders now to be requested.

14.0 - CORRESPONDENCE:
Letter from St Edmundsbury offering grass cutting and grounds maintenance services.

SALC Courses for councillors, clerks, chairmen and vice-chairmen dates for April. ALSO "How to Deal with Planning" a day course (28 April) and "NALC Legal Day" which will include getting the most from Quality Parish Status, Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 and Disabled Access legislation (6 May).

SALC AGM - 17 July, 10am - 3.30 pm. Alastair McWhirter, Chief Constable will speak on "Working in Partnership with Parish Councils for a Safer Suffolk". Clerk to notify Cllr Smith of details, Cllr Mangnall will attend if required.

Guide to Road Safety in Suffolk (3rd edition).

Parish Paths Partnership Scheme - 2004/05. Grants may be available to local groups for maintenance, promotional or survey work on public rights of way.

Suffolk Waste Local Plan: Revised deposit draft.

Thank you letter from Pakenham Parents & Toddler Group for the donation.

Request from Norton Pre-School for funding to provide them with a modular building near the village hall, they need in the region of £65,000. Will accept letters offering provisional support and forward them to relevant funding bodies. Clerk to write and confirm support of £100.00 from Pakenham Parish Council.

Letter from Suffolk Practitioners Services Unit confirming Woolpit Medical Services Ltd have 12 months from 2 November, 2003 to open a pharmacy in Thurston. It has been decided that there will be a period of 9 months between the date the pharmacy opens and the date the patients living within a one mile radius of the pharmacy are transferred from their GP's dispensing lists to their prescribing lists.

Suffolk County Council, Resource Management - Claimed bridleway in Thurston, Pakenham and Norton, appeal has been allowed and the CC has been directed to add the route to the Definitive Map and Statement as a bridleway. A copy will be sent to Parish Council but is not likely for some months.

The Local Councillor.

15.0 - OPEN FORUM:
Councillors agreed to support Chief Executive of SALC to request that co-opted members receive allowances, travelling and out of pocket expenses. Clerk to contact SALC to support the lobby.

Cllr Painter still awaiting quote regarding the village notice board

Concern was voiced regarding the parking outside the post office. Clerk to contact Mr Nunn for advice.

It was agreed that following the Annual Parish Meeting there would be an interval when wine and soft drinks would be served, this would provide an opportunity for members of the parish to talk to the parish councillors and meet those involved in the clubs which meet in the village. The Annual Meeting of the Parish Council would then follow on.

16.0 - DATE OF NEXT MEETING:
The next meeting of the Parish Council will be the annual meeting on Tuesday, 25 May, 2004 following on from the Annual Parish Meeting.

The meeting was closed at 9.30 pm.

 

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.