Pakenham Parish Council Minutes - 23rd February 2004

Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 23 FEBRUARY 2004

THE VILLAGE HALL, PAKENHAM AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr J Mangnall, Cllr L Couper, Cllr H Painter, Cllr P Smith, Cllr J Speare, Cllr C Spicer, Borough, Pc Sue Barnes-Smith, Police (part), Mr John Culley, Mr David Bird, Emergency Planning (part) and Mrs J Brookman (Clerk).

APOLOGIES: Cllr R Griffin, Cllr D Dorling and Cllr V White, County.

1.0 - POLICE REPORT:
Pc Barnes-Smith reported that the Tuesday afternoon surgeries were going very well and it was agreed that a police notice board would be displayed at the Village Hall.

2.0 - EMERGENCY PLANNING:
Mr David Bird from the Borough Council outlined the need for a current Parish Emergency Plan and the resources available should an emergency arise. Cllr Smith to continue to hold the details relating to this.

3.0 - DECLARATION OF INTERESTS:
Cllrs Mangnall and Smith declared interest in matters relating to the Village Hall and Cllr Painter declared an interest in planning application SE/04/1242/LB and SE/04/1347/P.

4.0 - PUBLIC FORUM:
Mr Culley asked if a Parish notice board could be erected. The Parish Council agreed that a notice board would be purchased at the cost of approximately £800 and erected at the village hall site.

The Post Office had confirmed that a post box could be placed at the new post office if the one sited near the bus stop were sealed (only one per street is permitted). It was agreed that it would be preferable to maintain the existing one and post could be handed in at the post office thereby offering two posting points rather than one.

5.0 - BOROUGH COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Cllr Spicer reported that the Development Control Committee would be considering an enforcement notice in connection with Shetland Boats on 4 March, 2004.

Letter has been sent to the Borough Council stating it is imperative that Parish Council's are informed of all changes to planning applications.

Confirmed that lines of communication between River Close residents and Havebury have now been established.

At the Open Meeting held on 9 February regarding the Cattle Market project the main concern was car parking, a separate committee has now been formed to deal with this matter.

6.0 - COUNTY COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
A written report was submitted in Cllr White's absence.

Amendment to Item 3 of minutes of 12 January, 2004 "..access difficulties via ....".

The A143 to have "slow down" flashing signs on each side of the carriageway, more visible signing and road markings plus an anti-skid surface to be laid as soon as possible.

The Boundary Committee for England has published the draft recommendations for SCC. Has endorsed the call for a reduction to 75 county councillors, Thingoe north division remains much as it is any comments should be made to the committee by 8 March.

Cllr White had attended a meeting with Bury Rural police commander along with Parish Council members. Endorsed the excellent work of Pc Barnes-Smith and the effect of visible local policing.

The meeting was convened.

7.0 - MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS:
The minutes of the 12 January 2004 were amended as item 6.0 of these minutes in County Councillor's Report and then signed as a true record.

The minutes of 6 February 2004 were approved and signed as a true record.

8.0 - CLERK'S REPORT:
The landlord of The Fox, Mr Peter Kingston, has requested the support of the Parish Council for zero rating regarding the rates for The Fox. Unanimous agreement to support this. Clerk to write to Borough Council. Mr Kingston to be invited to the next meeting of the Parish Council to outline his plans for The Fox when he takes over the tenancy direct from Greene King.

Information has been received that as from 2007 insurance cannot be guaranteed for properties located in the IP31 2JU postcode area.

9.0 - PLANNING APPLICATIONS:
Cllrs Painter and Spicer left the meeting.

SE/04/1242/LB and SE/04/1347/P Compton Cottage, Fen Road, Pakenham
Listed Building Application - Alterations and repairs to fire damaged property including rethatching with water reed, rebuilding of chimney, replacement of windows and removal of render. Planning application - reconstruction and increase in height of chimney. No objections.

Cllr Painter returned to the meeting.

SE/04/1319/P Home Farm, Bull Road, Pakenham
Planning application - Erection of (I) single storey extension and (ii) porch. No objections.

Cllr Spicer returned to the meeting.

TCA04/989 Plot 1 Willowdene, The Street, Pakenham
Regarding the parish council's recommendation that conifer trees to be felled be replaced with indigenous species, the borough council cannot impose conditions or insist on replacement planting.

OUTCOME OF PLANNING APPLICATIONS

SE/03/2692/P Queach Farm, Great Barton
Change of use of and alterations to agricultural buildings to form workshops/business use (ClassB1) as supported by letters dated 5th and 12th November 2003. Granted.

10.0 - FINANCE REPORT:

Cheques signed since the last meeting:
831
Clarkes of Walsham
£27.68
832
LEC Marine Ltd-outside lights at Village Hall
£295.22
833
LEC Marine Ltd-outside socket at Village Hall
£185.47
Cheques to be signed at the meeting
834
Mark Bleay - Tree surgery at The Dell
£141.00
835
Mr AJ Hosken - Feb wages
£84.50
836
Mrs J Brookman - Feb wages *
£120.63
837
Pakenham Parent & Toddler Group-Donation
£100.00
* Now clerk's sole employment therefore no income tax deducted.
Payments received
£110 received re Pheobe Landymore, deceased.

11.0 - THE DELL:
Mark Bleay of Countryside, Conservation & Tree Services had carried out the work at The Dell and the Playbus now has access to the playing fields. Cllr Mangnall met with Mark Bleay to discuss the remaining work needed at The Dell and read to the meeting a report submitted by Mr Bleay. Cllr Mangnall to request verification of pricing.

12.0 - PARISH CAR PARK AT ST MARY'S CHURCH:
Cllr Painter and Clerk to request tenders for the above.

13.0 - PARENT & TODDLER GROUP:
A newly formed Pakenham Parent & Toddler Group has requested financial assistance in setting up a group to meet weekly during term time in the village hall. Cllr Couper proposed a donation of £100; Cllr Painter seconded this.

14.0 - CORRESPONDENCE:
Letter from the Havebury re pedestrian access for Mr Hosken as 1 Church Green. Clerk's letter has been passed to Co-op Homes the owners of the property for their consideration.

Reply to Clerk's letter from Borough Council stating that as Shetland Boats have not submitted a planning application the matter will be reported now to the Development Control Committee on 4 March when consideration will be given to the service of an enforcement notice. No acknowledgement or comment regarding enquiries about newts.

Letter from Borough Council re Broadband in St Edmundsbury who are proposing to hold a seminar on 24 March. Details to Cllr Smith.

Havebury News - copy held on file.

Calor Village of the Year 2004, entry forms and details taken by Cllr Painter.

Healthy Homes - Home Security - Poster displayed on Village Hall and leaflet on Grimstone End notice boards.

Suffolk County Council - funding available for bus shelters.

Complete Weed Control - amenity spraying company offering quotes for work. Details kept on file.

From SALC:-

Vital Villages Update from The Countryside Agency.

Get Your Share to Get Them There! - Don't miss the bus to your 10k Rural Transport Grant - A Spring Conference on 24 March at Kesgrave Community Centre. Series of presentations and workshops to help identify a transport scheme to fit your village.

The Boundary Committee for England - Periodic Electoral Review of Suffolk County Council: Draft Recommendations.

Spring dates for training courses for Councillors and Clerks.

West Suffolk NHS leaflet - Local services designed by local people.

15.0 - OPEN FORUM:
Cllr Painter confirmed there may be a £2,000 to £3,000 shortfall on funding for the village hall but there is still one grant application outstanding. Requested item placed on next agenda for parish council to consider a loan if required.

Report that use of Anderson's' land for digger driver training had exceeded the permitted 12 days per annum restriction. To be included on next agenda.

Cllr Couper requested that the toad signs should be displayed. Cllr Mangnall to contact Cllr Dorling.

Clerk to contact Suffolk Agri regarding security light siting and request adjustment.

Cllr Mangnall requested a new metal sign to be erected by the refurbished pump and surround. Agreed.

16.0 - QUESTIONS TO THE CHAIR:
The village sign has been erected and is now ready for the CCTV camera to be installed with a light on the back of the sign. The Parish Council agreed to show their appreciation to Mr Barrie Chester for his work on the sign with a gift and a letter.

17.0 - DATES FOR MEETINGS:
The next meeting will be held on Monday 5 April in the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm.

The subsequent meetings will be held on:-

17 May, 21 June, 26 July, 6 September, 18 October, 29 November 2004 and 10 January 2005.

The meeting was closed at 9.50 pm.

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.