Pakenham Parish Council Minutes - 12th January 2004

Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 12 JANUARY 2004

THE VILLAGE HALL, PAKENHAM AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr J Mangnall, Cllr D Dorling, Cllr L Couper, Cllr H Painter, Cllr R Griffin, Cllr P Smith, Pc Sue Barnes-Smith (Police), Cllr V White, Cllr C Spicer, Mr A Hosken, Mrs P Hunt and Mrs J Brookman (Clerk).

APOLOGIES: Cllr H Painter and Cllr J Speare

1.0 - DECLARATION OF INTERESTS:
Cllrs Mangnall and Smith declared interest in agenda item 13, The Village Hall.

2.0 - PUBLIC FORUM:
Mr Tony Hosken confirmed that he had been preparing and painting the village pump and railings and confirmed that the concrete base was broken. The Parish Council agreed to repair the base and attend to the sign. Mr Hosken had previously written to the Parish Council enquiring if it would be possible to have a financial contribution towards a head mounted lamp and charger which enabled him to work in the village after dark. The matter of pedestrian access from Mr Hosken's cottage to the footpath was also raised in view of the railings that had recently been erected. Clerk to contact Havebury to ask for a pedestrian access to be made.

3.0 - COUNTY COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Cllr White confirmed that she would be making a bid for the deployment of the speed indicator device and could make a recommendation as to where it should be placed.

Cllr White was aware the playbus had access difficulties via The Dell but was aware that the trees were to be crown lifted so as to clear the route.

Regarding Mrs Finch's fall in December Jim Nunn confirmed that he would be sending out someone to survey the pavement.

It was confirmed that the hedge planting proposals had been agreed at the Willowdene site.

Cllr White advised that additional markings were proposed on the A143 (near The Bunbury).

4.0 - POLICE REPORT:
Pc Barnes-Smith confirmed that five incidents had been reported since the last meeting.

A Police Advice Centre will start on Tuesday 20 January from 1.30 to 3.30 pm at the Village Hall and continue on a weekly basis. Pakenham is the first village in Bury Rural to receive this facility.

An invitation to meet Inspector Becky Kidd-Stanton on 22 January in the Village Hall between 1.30 and 4.00 pm.

The Speed Indicator Device will be available again in early March.
It was confirmed that the Speedcam device could get results as it enables letters to be sent out and prosecutions can also be made.

The Chairman convened the meeting.

5.0 - MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING:
The minutes of the 1 December 2004 were approved and signed as a true record.

6.0 - CLERK'S REPORT:
The clerk confirmed that Mr David Bird of St Edmundsbury BC would be attending the next meeting to speak about Emergency Planning.

Cllr Griffin returned a cheque for £5.00 regarding a course fee for the Suffolk Wildlife Trust, as the course was full.

7.0 - PLANNING APPLICATIONS:

NEW APPLICATIONS:

TCA03/984 North east and south east boundaries to The Dell, Pakenham - Crown lift trees to 5m above road situated within a Conservation Area. (applicant Pakenham Parish Council)

TPO236(1997)5 4 The Greenwoods, Pakenham - Crown lift to 5m over road one Oak(B) - (T8) protected by a Preservation Order (applicant Pakenham Parish Council)

The above applications have now been granted.

SE/03/3974/P Pelambech, Fen Road, Pakenham - Erection of single storey extension. No objection.

SE/04/3479/P Upper House (Denholm), Upper Town, Pakenham
Erection of rear extension (amendment to approved scheme). No objections.

SE/04/1016/P Manor Farm, Upper Town, Pakenham
Erection of dwelling and garage (revised scheme).
The Parish Council objected to this application, as it would create a precedent to build outside the settlement area of the village.

OUTCOME OF PLANNING APPLICATIONS

SE/03/3522/P 14 The Owell, Pakenham
Erection of (I) two storey side extension and (ii) front lobby. Granted.

SE/03/2466.P Misty Meadows (formerly Orca), Fen Road, Pakenham
Provision of replacement roof incorporating high ridge line with dormer windows and roof lights to front and rear roof slopes associated with accommodation in roof space as amended by drawing nos. 144/4a and 144/3a received 1 December 2003 indicating reduced ridge height. Granted

8.0 - EQUIPMENT FOR VILLAGE CLEANER:
The Council discussed Mr Hosken's earlier request, Cllr Dorling proposed that the sum of £75.00 should be made available to buy the fast charger and lamp, Cllr Couper seconded the proposal.

9.0 - FINANCE REPORT:

Cheques signed since the last meeting:
823
Mr AJ Hosken - Dec wages/ Oct &Nov overtime
£270.40
Cheques signed at the meeting
824
N Rayson & Son - hedgecutting
£235.00
825
Mrs J Brookman - Clerk's wages December
£94.10
826
Inland Revenue
£204.83
827
Mr AJ Hosken - Jan wages post dated
£84.50
828
Mrs J Brookman - Jan wages post dated
£94.09
829
Mr AJ Hosken - lamp and charger
£75.00
830
Mr D Thrower - grass cutting - post dated 20/1/04
Payments received
Transfer of £2,600 from Deposit to Current Account

10. - THE DELL:
Cllr Mangnall confirmed that three quotes had been received relating to the work to be carried out at The Dell. It was agreed that the quote from Mark Bleay, Countryside, Conservation and Tree Service is accepted and a meeting arranged with him to discuss the remainder of the work that needs to be carried out.
Subsequent to the meeting clerk can confirm that public liability cover is in place.

11.0 - PARISH CAR PARK AT ST MARY'S CHURCH:
Mr David Thrower had offered a quote of £1,620.00 for the grass cutting for 2004, Cllr Dorling proposed the quote be accepted, seconded by Cllr Griffin.

12.0 - VILLAGE HALL:
Cllr Mangnall confirmed that the stage had been ordered.

13.0 - CORRESPONDENCE:
Letter from Mrs Finch regarding the footpath near the Village Pump forwarded to Cllr Spicer, subsequently passed to Cllr White see minute 3.0.

Copy of letter from Planning Department to EE Mortimer & Sons (builders) regarding Barfield site. Builder offered to plan a native hedge on the boundary between plot 2 and the neighbouring property. This has been accepted under the terms of condition of the planning permission SE/01/2867/P.

Letter from A Wright & Son (Builders) specialising in stonemasonry work, happy to quote for cleaning, restoration or building work involving stone.

Parish Conference held on 17 November 2003. Follow up details of the event, including handouts given, hoped to become an annual event.

The Local Councillor.

Suffolk Hedgerow Survey Newsletter.

GO-East - Renewable Energy and the Planning System. Details of last years survey.

Suffolk CC - Environment & Transport - A143 Bend at Knutsford House, Great Barton/Pakenham - Local Safety Scheme. Clerk to reply steps outlined are a good start. Concern raised as to the plan circulated as it does not show the tightness of the bend on the road and that it was hoped that the department were working from more accurate plans.

Suffolk West NHS - Primary Care Trust. Draft of a Patent and Public Involvement Strategy.

Letter from St Edmundsbury BC Legal Department regarding the Buggy Club, requesting the name of Mr Chester's successor and if the lease is to be continued with. Clerk to confirm details of Cllr Speare and lease to be continued.

SALC re Suffolk Village of the Year Awards enquiring if Pakenham would be entering this competition in the future. Clerk to request competition details.

Offer from Stop Stansted Expansion to visit and give a presentation. Clerk to decline invitation.

14.0 - BOROUGH COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Cllr Spicer outlined the proposed plans for the Cattle Market area of Bury St Edmunds and confirmed that a public meeting would be held in the Council Offices, 9 February 2004 commencing at 6 pm.

The Havebury Neighbourhood Officer will be monitoring River Close gardens and car parking.

Mr Mervin Wake, Enforcement Officer for the BC aware of the situation regarding Shetland Boats who can trade and use the office at the site but need permission to manufacture. Clerk to write to Mr Wake and confirm that Shetland Boats are still operating and we have not yet received a planning application.

Willowdene/Barfield Site. Cllr Spicer to write to BC regarding planning applications to reiterate that Parish Councils should be informed of all changes to plans.

15.0 - QUESTIONS TO THE CHAIR:
Cllr Mangnall had attended a Primary Health Care Trust meeting regarding a specification for the new surgery at Thurston. The site has not yet been designated but that services offered are to link up with Thurston school for advice plus the usual service with extensive facilities.

16.0 - DATE OF NEXT MEETING:
The next meeting will be held on Monday, 23 February in the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm and the following meeting will be held on Monday, 5 April also in the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm.

The meeting was closed at 9.50 pm.

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.