Pakenham Parish Council Minutes - 1st September 2003

Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 1 SEPTEMBER, 2003

THE MARTIN ROOM, ST MARY'S CHURCH, PAKENHAM AT 7.30 PM

PRESENT: Cllr J Mangnall, Cllr D Dorling, Cllr J Speare, Cllr R Griffin, Cllr L Couper, Cllr P Smith, Cllr H Painter, Cllr C Spicer, Cllr V White and Mrs J Brookman (Clerk).

APOLOGIES: There were no apologies for absence.

1.0 - DECLARATION OF INTERESTS:
Cllrs Mangnall and Smith declared an interest in agenda items number 8 and 15. Cllr Griffin declared an interest in agenda item 5a.

2.0 - MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS:
The minutes of the meeting held on 16 July, 2003 were agreed subject to item 11 being amended to read "It was agreed that the Parish Council would precept in October and pay the rental for the fixtures and fittings for the shop".

The minutes of the meetings of 7 and 14 August 2003 were approved.

3.0 - CLERK'S REPORT:
Correspondence had been received regarding a proposed pharmacy for Thurston, as a decision was outstanding regarding a proposed new GP surgery for Thurston it was agreed that the clerk write and express concerns that a decision regarding the pharmacy should not be made until the details regarding the proposed GP surgery are known as there are considerable financial implications.

4.0 - PLANNING APPLICATIONS:

NEW APPLICATION:

SE/03/2844/P The Paddocks, Fen Road, Pakenham
Erection of single storey side extension.
Cllr Griffin left the meeting at 8.05 pm declaring a prejudicial interest.
The parish council commented that the application appeared to be more of an extension than a proposed sun lounge. It was noted that there were four different types of window shown on the front elevation of the proposed plan, which was felt to be a lot of different windows for one aspect of the dwelling.
Cllr Painter joined the meeting at 8.17 pm.
Cllr Griffin returned to the meeting at 8.20 pm.

OUTCOME OF PLANNING APPLICATIONS:

SE/03/2519/P Maric, Fen Road, Pakenham
Erection of first floor rear extension as amended. GRANTED

5.0 - FINANCE REPORT:

Cheques signed since the last meeting:
801
Clarkes of Walsham
£9.93
802
St Mary's Church - hire of The Martin Room 07.08.03
£10.00
Cheques signed at the meeting
803
Local Council Review subscription
£11.59
804
PVH & PFA hall hire
£40.00
805
St Mary's Church - hire of The Martin Room 01.09.03
£10.00

6.0 - THE DELL WORKING PARTY:
It was decided to defer setting a date for the working party until the next meeting.

7.0 - VILLAGE SIGN:
It was reported that the village sign was thought to be repairable and Cllr Dorling proposed that Mr B Chester be asked to carry out the necessary work, this was seconded by Cllr Smith and Cllr Painter agreed to liaise and keep all parties informed of progress.

8.0 - YELLOW LINES:
It was decided that at present yellow lines would not be pursued.

9.0 - ST MARY'S CHURCH CAR PARK:
It was agreed that a specification should be drawn up for the work required which would then go out to tender. Clerk to contact contractors with specification once to hand. Cllr Mangnall to contact David Ruffley regarding grants. To be included for precept at next meeting.

10.0 - FINANCIAL STANDING ORDERS:
The proposed SALC Financial Standing Orders were considered, amendments made and revised edition to be presented at the next meeting.

Cllr Couper left the meeting at 9.30 pm.

11.0 - CEMETERY/BURIAL GUIDELINES:
The current guidelines were circulated along with Stafford Borough Council regulations. Clerk to contact other local parishes to compare current rates.

12.0 - COUNTY COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Cllr White reported that new councillors had been involved in a site visit to IKEA but that Health and Safety are not yet in agreement regarding gas. There are no major relief schemes proposed at present for traffic problems relating to Culford/Ingham. Cllr White agreed to speak with Jim Nunn re grass verge and triangle of grass at Fen Road being churned up and also agreed to make enquiries as to the progress of "quiet lanes".

Cllr Spicer joined the meeting.

13.0 - BOROUGH COUNCILLOR'S REPORT:
Cllr Spicer reported that the cattle market development in Bury St Edmunds would be going ahead with a new building to link the new and old part of the town. Cllr Spicer had received complaints regarding the garden of 3 River Close and would be pursuing the matter. Cllr Spicer also agreed to talk to Mr Robson at the BC regarding Shetland Boats.

14.0 - WILLOWDENE/BARFIELD SITE, THE STREET, PAKENHAM:
Cllr Painter advised the council that the specification for the fencing to the rear of the village hall on the above site had been changed by the Borough Council and the adjoining property had not been informed. It was agreed the clerk should write to the BC requesting that if something as fundamental as this is altered, adjoining properties should be informed and that steps should be taken to ensure that an occurrence like this is not repeated.

15.0 - CORRESPONDENCE:
Clerk had written to Planning Department regarding complaints received regarding HGVs carrying boats and deliveries to Shetland Boats at Grimstone End. Reply received advising that planning permission is required and that an application is expected for change of use of the site.

Rural Policing Forum to be held on 22 September at 7.30 pm, The Flying Fortress, Mount Road, Gt Barton.

Pc Bob Meredith due to retire. From 1 September the area to be covered by Pc Sarah Chapman has been reduced to the electoral ward areas of Gt Barton and Pakenham covering the villages of Gt Barton, Ampton, Gt Livermere, Lt Livermere, Pakenham, RAF Honington (camp), Timworth and Troston. Currently Pc Chapman is being assisted by Pc Sue Barnes-Smith during the maternity period, should resume full time operational duties March 2004.

St Edmundsbury BC has confirmed that the parish will be included for the first phase of blue bin kerbside collections. The blue bin will be for dry recyclables (including paper, cardboard, plastic and metals). A presentation to the parish council was declined. Roadshows can be arranged.

SALC and Suffolk ACRE course on 23 September "An interactive learning day to help parish councillors, clerks and community organisation leaders make their communities vibrant places where everyone is included and valued".

Suffolk West NHS - Primary Care Trust, proposal for new GP surgery. Public meeting to consider proposals are on 3 September, Bury St Edmunds and 9 September Thurston.

16.0 - OPEN FORUM:
Concern was expressed re overhanging trees in the Fen Road areas of the village. Cllr Griffin agreed to "tree spot" and report to the next meeting.
Concern regarding streetlight obscured in Thurston Road, clerk to notify Borough Council.
It was agreed that a meeting should be set up with the Crime Prevention Officer in the Autumn.

17.0 - DATE OF NEXT MEETING:
The date of the next meeting will be Monday, 20 October, 2003 in the Village Hall and the following meeting will be held on Monday, 1 December, 2003.

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.