Pakenham Parish Council Minutes - 21st October 2002

Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21 OCTOBER 2002

PRESENT : Cllr D Dorling, Cllr J Mangnall, Cllr B Chester, Cllr H Painter, Cllr P Smith, Cllr A Cox, Cllr L Couper (part), Mrs J Brookman (Clerk).

APOLOGIES : Apologies were received from Cllr P Smith, Cllr L Couper and Mrs V White.

1 - DECLARATION OF INTERESTS :
Cllr J Mangnall declared an interest in agenda items no. 10 - Pakenham Village Hall and Playing Field Association re Charity Commission and also in connection with The Blackbourne Centre under correspondence.

2 - MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS :
The minutes of the meeting held on 9 September 2002 were approved and signed as a true record.

The minutes of the additional meeting held on the 26 September 2002 were approved and signed as a true record.

3 - MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES :

3.1 - TIPPING ON FLOOD PLAIN BESIDE A143 (near Mulley's roundabout) : It was reported that more tipping had been carried out and it was decided that the Clerk write to the Planning Department to try to establish what is happening on this site.

3.2 - THE BUGGY CLUB : Cllr Chester confirmed that he has signed the lease on behalf of the Parish Council only to be informed by the Buggy Club that they cannot afford the amount due. It was agreed that Cllr Chester start negotiations with the club to try to agree terms.

4 - BOROUGH AND COUNTRY COUNCILLORS REPORT :
Mrs White had provided the Parish Council with a written report of relevant matters as she was unable to attend the meeting.

Mrs White proposed that a meeting be held with Havebury to establish the areas of responsibility regarding the upkeep of the land at The Owell and requested a member of the Parish Council also attend the meeting, Cllr Mangnall agreed to attend.

Mrs White provided bus timetables to be displayed on the notice boards and asked if the Parish intended to be involved with the initiatives to include Pakenham in the future. It was confirmed that the Parish were making further enquiries and Cllr Couper was attending a meeting this evening to see if the village can be included.

The Enviroment Agency have finally confirmed that Anglian Water and the Elmswell Sewage treatment works will be discharging a much tighter controlled quality of effluent into the Blackbourne so together with the dredging earlier this year it is hoped that the mere area will be better safeguarded.

Mrs White confirmed that the Borough figures confirmed that there is still £8,600 in the Village Hall Grant (July cabinet figures) and that she will access this when required.

The Fox public house has enquired about rate relief and Mrs White has supplied the clerk with details of the Borough council officer to contact regarding this. The Parish Council requested the clerk write a letter of support to the Borough Council regarding this.

Mrs White reported that she attended the Local Plan meeting for Rural Areas when she was assured that the land to the rear of The Fox is shown as ' countryside' and would be declared inappropriate backland development for potential housing. Cllr Painter agreed to make enquiries and then discuss the matter with Cllr Dorling and Mrs White.

Work at The Owell regarding the lighting is due to start on 29 October 2002 and will obviously cause some disruption whilst the lights are being connected and painted. The work should be completed very shortly after that.

Cllr Mangnall confirmed that the proposed meeting on the 17 October with Debra Cadman and Mrs White to visit Pakenham had been cancelled.

5 - PLANNING APPLICATIONS :

5.1 - OUTCOME OF PLANNING APPLICATIONS

SE/02/2314/LB The Old Shop, Grimstone End, Pakenham. Erection of porch following demolition of exisitng porch as amended. GRANTED.

6 - HEDGE CUTTING CONTRACT (PARISH BURIAL GROUND, ALLOTMENTS AND THE DELL) :
Cllr Dorling and Cllr Chester had obtained verbal quotes for work outlined regarding the hedge cutting in the parish. The prices for laying of hedges and flayling had been obtained and the cost of laying was felt to be prohibitive. It was agreed that Mr Antony Rayson be asked to confirm his quote in writing and to make a copy of his indemnity insurance certificate available.

7 - PAKENHAM VILLAGE HALL AND PLAYING FIELD ASSOCIATION :
Details had been received from the Charity Commission, Cllr Mangnall explained that the Charity Commission had been contacted because in order to legally lease the shop/post office it must be within the constitution.

8 - PRECEPT :
The precept for the year 2003/2004 was discussed and the figures agreed upon. A copy of the final precept is enclosed with these minutes. An additional sum of £50 has been added to the proposed precept as a donation for The Blackbourn Centre. It was agreed by the Parish Council that the monies allocated to the 'Village Improvements' be increased and added to the Village Hall and Playing Fields Association allocation. It was also agreed that Cllr Mangnall approach the PVH & PFA to see if an annual payment could be agreed for the use of the Pavilion for Parish Council meetings

9 - CORRESPONDENCE :
A letter had been received from Victim Support, West Suffolk Branch requesting a contribution, this request was declined.

A copy of Suffolk's Local Transport Plan Annual Progress Report 2002 was available at the meeting.

The Private Sector House Condition Survey 2002 from St Edmundsbury Borough Council had been received and was available at the meeting.

A leaflet from St Edmundsbury Borough Council, "Your Right to Speak - at the Development Control Committee" was circulated to all Parish Councillors.

A letter from the Environment Agency requesting the Parish Council provide them with information if we are unfortunate enough to suffer flooding over the coming months had been received. Clerk has details and a post event questionnaire they would like completed when appropriate.

Suffolk County Council leaflet Suffolk Travel, issue 11, September 2002 had been received and was available at the meeting.

Details of Councillors' Training Seminars on the New Ethical Code for parish councillors in the St Edmundsbury Borough Council area on, 4 November, 2002 had been received. Cllr Dorling and the clerk to attend.

A letter from The Blackbourne Centre which provides day care once a week for the elderly and frail including some from Pakenham, requesting a donation to support the centre had been received. It was agreed that the Parish Council would give a donation of £50 to this organisation.

Details had been received from St Edmundsbury Borough Council regarding the Piloting of Alternative Electoral Procedures.

Letter from St Edmundsbury Borough Council notifying all parishes that a review of polling districts is being carried out within the Borough however, there are no changes proposed for this parish.

A letter from Suffolk Acre as a result of the meeting held on 26 September (attended by Cllr Dorling and Cllr Couper) regarding schemes to attract Rural Transport Grant funding regarding a community bus service around the Thurston area (to include Pakenham) had been received. A Sub-Group is arranging a questionnaire survey to be carried out in the parishes. Clerk to notify the number of households in the parish to the Sub-Group.

A letter from District Emergency Planning Officer regarding Community Emergency Planning Seminar to be held on 30 October, 2002 had been forwarded to Cllr Smith who had agreed to attend.

10 - FINANCE REPORT :

Cheques signed since the last meeting:
739
Clerk's wages - September
£89.66
740
Mr A J Hosken - September wages
£97.50
741
Mrs J Brookman - reimbursement of Training course fee
£15.00
742
M J Nunn - replacement jacket
£10.00
743
D Dorling - expenses re course
£78.40
Cheques signed at the meeting
744
Clarkes of Walsham - materials
£65.34
745
PVH & PFA- hire of hall
£22.00
746
SALC -Local Authority admin book
£10.00
747
SALC - Course 4/11/02
£10.00
748
Blackbourne Centre donation
£50.00

11 - CLERKS REPORT :
Details had been received of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, it was agreed that a copy should be circulated to all Parish Councillors.

12 - MATTERS OF REPORT :
Cllr Dorling reported that the bus shelter roof had been damaged and was in need of repair. Cllr Mangnall agreed to arrange for emergency repairs to be carried out.

13 - DATE OF NEXT MEETING :
It was confirmed that the next meeting would be held on Monday, 2 December 2002 in The Pavilion at 7.30 pm and the following meeting would be held on Monday, 27 January 2003.

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.