Pakenham Parish Council Minutes - 4th March 2002

Meeting of

PAKENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 4th MARCH 2002

IN THE PAVILLION AT 7.30p.m.

PRESENT: Cllr D Dorling, Cllr J Mangnall, Cllr H Painter, Cllr L Couper, Cllr A Cox, Cllr B Chester, Cllr P Smith, Mrs V White (part), Borough & District Councillor, Mrs J Brookman, Clerk.

OPEN SESSION:
The chairman adjourned the formal meeting and welcomed those present and introduced Helen Smith, Reserves Officer for Suffolk Wildlife Trust.
Helen Smith addressed the Parish Council and the 19 members of thePublic present. She outlined that with the help of grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund it was hoped the purchase of the site would soon be completed. The 10 hectare site of mostly water surrounded by grassland would be seen by Suffolk Wildlife as a local, low key site. They will try to establish control over water levels, and will carry out a level survey and plan to reinstate ditches if necessary. There is a proposal to erect one hide, but the exact location has not been decided. Suffolk Wildlife has appointed a warden to oversee the project but would be looking to appoint volunteer wardens. It was confirmed that the site will be known as Micklemere, Pakenham. Helen welcomed the opportunity to meet with the residents in the immediate vicinity to the site either on a individual or group basis.

The Chairman resumed the meeting.

1. APOLOGIES: There were no apologies for absence.

2. MINUTES: The minutes of the meeting held on 21 January 2002 were approved and signed as a true record.

3. MATTERS ARISING:

(i) THE DELL: Cllr Dorling and Cllr Couper carried out a site inspection. The steps leading down into The Dell were found to be in poor condition. It was agreed that the entrance leading to the steps would be sealed off and Cllr Dorling would ask David Thrower to do this and Cllr Cox agreed to prepare laminated signs to mark the entrance point. As a result of the site inspection Cllr Couper met with David Carmichael who gave advice re the condition of the trees. One was found to be badly rotten and in need of felling, another by the roadside was in need of cutting back. Clerk to contact BT to ask to look at wires and trim over hanging branches as a preventative measure Cllr Couper agreed to act as the contact with BT.

(ii) NEW STREET LIGHTS - THE OWELL: Mrs V White has been able to secure a locality grant for the new street lights for The Owell and tabled a plan showing the sites of the new lights.

(iii) COMMUNITY EMERGENCY PLANNING IN SUFFOLK: Cllr Smith had spoken with the District Planning Officer regarding the Data Protection Act as some details for the scheme may be covered by this act and is awaiting a reply.

(iv) SALC COURSE: Cllr Smith requested a volunteer to attend the SALC course “Shepherd or Sheep” on the 8th March as he is only able to attend the morning session, if no other volunteer is forthcoming.

(v); BUGGY CLUB: Cllr Chester confirmed that discussions regarding the lease to the Buggy Club had been revived not agreed as previously stated.

(vi) PICKET FENCING: Cllr Couper reported that following research into the picket fencing at Thurston she was unable to establish an estimated cost as the project there had been part of a much larger village traffic calming scheme.

(vii) THE QUEEN’S GOLDEN JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS ON 3RD JUNE: Cllr Painter confirmed that enthusiastic talks had taken place with the The Fox and the matter of insurance had been discussed. Enquiries were continuing regarding the possibility of fireworks and the insurance cover for these. It was confirmed that various groups/clubs within the village had outlined their ideas and plans for the event.

4. PLANNING APPLICATIONS:

New Applications

(i) 1 Manor Garth, Pakenham - Pollard Horse Chestnut (T1) in front garden protected by a Preservation Order. There were no objections to this application.

(ii) (Mulberry House, Pakenham.(a)Fell two Limes (T1), Lime coppiced stump (T2) and group of Sycamore (T5); (b) crown lift to 4m and crown thin by 30% four Limes (T3, T4, T6, T7); and (c) crown reduce by 30% Evergreen Oak (T8) protected by a Tree Preservation Order. There were no objections to this application.

(iii) The Willows, Bell Corner, Pakenham. Provision of pitched roof over existing flat roofed garage. There were no objections to this application.

(iv) Cotswold, Fen Road, Pakenham. Erection of detached three bedroom annexe (following demolition of existing garage). The Parish Council objected to certain aspects of the proposed plans and the clerk to outline these details in reply to the application.

Past Applications

(i) Barfield, The Street, Pakenham Conservation Area Application – Demolition of bungalow and garage (to allow residential re-development – planning application) has been granted.

(ii) Adjacent Willowdene, The Street, Pakenham. Erection of three dwellings, garaging and construction of vehicular access (following demolition of bungalow (Barfield), garage and part of Willowdene) as amended by letter 19/10/01 deleting garage to plot 1 has been granted.

(iii) Strathcona, Grimstone End, Pakenham. Erection of replacement two storey dwelling with double garage, this application had been withdrawn.

5 FINANCE REPORT:
In order to formalise the banking business for the Parish Council it was proposed that the clerk be the responsible financial officer, this proposal was made by Cllr J Mangnall and seconded by Cllr T Cox.

Cheques signed since the last meeting:
700
Mr Hosken wages for February
£97.50
Cheques to be signed:
701
Clerk’s wages for February
£89.66
702
Village Hall Fund, precept for upkeep of village hall (post dated 31.3.02)
£1,000.00
703
Cllr D Dorling for expenses
£28.10
704
Mr D Thrower – cutting footpath
£108.00
705
SARS donation
£50.00

6 ROAD RELATED ISSUES:
(i) Cllr Dorling had received comments that the roadside hedge Pelambech, Fen Road, Pakenham was beginning to cause concern regarding visibility. Cllr Dorling agreed to speak with the residents of the property.
(ii) Concern was expressed regarding the verges in Fen Road but it was agreed that this would be very low priority by the Council and so rather than request attention at this stage the condition would be monitored.
(iii) Fly tipping had taken place at Andersons Field, it was agreed the clerk should write to Mr Trevor Anderson and request he take steps to avoid this happening.

7 CORRESPONDENCE:
· A copy of a letter from Thurston Parish Council to Mid Suffolk Council regarding the Vehicle Dismantling Centre adjacent to Thurston Sewage Treatment Plant, off Pakenham Road, Thurston “spilling over” into surrounding fields and encroaching on Pakenham FP15. Cllr Dorling agreed to visit the site.
· Letter from SCC re: Winter Maintenance 2001/2002 enclosing a leaflet “Dealing with ice and snow on the roads footways and cycle tracks” a guide for the public provided by SCC.
· Copies of letters sent to the Highways Manager and Director of Construction & Works by Mrs V White, County Councillor re: Footway Lighting – The Owell, Pakenham, requesting re-assessment and improvement of lighting around The Owell.
· Letter from Suffolk Police Authority currently seeking to recruit volunteers aged between 18 and 66 to be Independent Custody visitors, no previous experience necessary, full training provided.
· Letter from Suffolk Accident Rescue Service asking for a donation.It was agreed that a donation of £50 be sent.
· Letter from Pakenham PCC regarding the Church drive and also requesting a resume of the Parish Council meetings be placed in the parish magazine. Cllr Painter agreed to make enquires regarding the cost of Tetrax and a sub committee of Cllrs Chester and Painter agreed to look into the possibilities for the church drive.
· It was agreed that whilst a resume of the Parish Council Meeting could not be provided for the magazine, as the meetings are open to the public there was no reason why a member of the PCC could not attend and make notes regarding salient points and place them in the magazine. Clerk to reply to PCC accordingly.
· Letter form St Edmundsbury Borough Council with details of the Essex Flood Fair to be held on Sunday 24 February 2002. Cllr Dorling had attended this event.
· Application for an Occasional Public Entertainment Licence for The Barn, Manor Farm, Pakenham on 6th July, 2002 from 7.30 pm to 11.30 pm. There were no objections to this application.
· Letter from H L Perfitt, Stonemasons requesting permission to erect a memorial for Jack and Iris Hale deceased in Pakenham cemetery. The details of the memorial were approved, clerk to confirm to the Stonemasons.
· St Edmundsbury Borough Council February Bulletin included details of organising Queen’s Golden Jubilee Celebrations and The Countryside Agency, Vital Villages – What funding is available?
· Letter from Suffolk Village of the Year Awards re Village of the Year 2002, it was decided not to pursue this on this occasion.

8 MATTERS OF REPORT:
It was reported that there was a large pothole on the Owell Estate and also potholes on Bull Road, clerk to write to Mr Nunn.
Cllr Smith raised the issue of the discrepancy of internet charges and the effect on rural businesses.

9 DATE OF NEXT MEETING:
It was agreed that the next meeting would be held on Monday 15th April 2002 in The Pavilion at 7.30 pm.
The Annual Meeting of the Parish Council will be held on 13th May, 2002 in the Village Hall at 7.30 pm

Pakenham-Village of Two Mills Book
History of Nether Hall book
Download Pakenham Circular Walk leaflet
This site has been tested using the excellent free Firefox
and
Opera
browsers.